CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Parenting

Last weekend, I did my fair share of babysitting a 1 year old toddler. First day was great fun, as he was quiet up to a point i kept checking his temperature, but over all, it was a good experience. He ate whatever I fed him, walked with me while holding my hands, Surprisingly excellent display of table manners and hugged me when he was sleepy for me to cuddle him to sleep. I was expecting the howling and bawling and kicks while doing the baby-breakdance all over the floor. Surprisingly, it was a breeze and I was silently thinking, hey, I can do this too. I could be a mom...

And then this little angel became a little terror. When his mom came back from work, the whimpering started. First I thought he was being manja, then the incessant need for attention kicked in. Mommy couldn't go to the bathroom for 1 minute, Mommy couldn't sit down without him climbing up her as if she was a tree. Mommy couldn't heat up his porridge, without him clutching onto her legs, scratching her and bawling non stop. Soon the crying became screaming and then it proceeded to become hysterical howling. The whole act of holding his breath until he turned purple and screaming like he was possessed. All mommy could do was attempt to hug him, and say " it's okay it's okay, don't cry"


I've never been so scared of parenthood than I have been over the weekend. It is a wonder how we're all healthy adults now and that our parents didnt just throw us in a ditch. Then again, it boils down to the whole nature versus nurture theory. Do your kids become spoilt brats and evolve into a problem child because of his genetic predisposition or was it really your fault to begin with.

As much as Developmental psychology talks about the different parenting methods which do not require the use of anger, force, or physical discipline. I beg to differ. My mom always said that children are like a pot of bonsai. In order for them to turn out pretty and healthy, you have to prod them and bend their will. After all, it's always the parents who knows best. While i never thought that i would ever agree to my mom's opinion, Pah! she knows best? Maybe there's some truth in it afterall.

Being a parent is probably the biggest test of mankind. It's not easy after all to discipline someone you love and in return be hated and resented. Most parents vie with each another to gain their kid's brownie points. And at some point, their patience and nurturing skills turn into over indulgence.

I believe there's nothing a good spank couldn't cure. Perhaps, I'm not meant to be a parent...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners". ~Author Unknown

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak
http://nospank.net/pt2010.pdf

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson
http://nospank.net/sdsc2.pdf