CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The "Mongrel" Heritage

Yes yes, I've been talking alot about food lately. Eat them, don't eat them, diets and hunger pangs, cravings..

I don't really know which part of my heritage I am proud of. The Eurasian side, which can't cook to save their lives, and insist that they have no Indian ancestry although they are mostly darker than an average Malaysian Indian? Or the Peranakan Nyonya heritage where my mother refuses to adorn the kebaya all throughout her life, and slaves away in the kitchen.

Growing up, I didn't like being the "mongrel" that I was. I came from a gigantic school, with 3000 over students from both morning and afternoon sessions. During my form one History project, I chose to do the history of my school, rather than the history of my family because I thought, too many mixes, too messy. It was only then that I found out how exclusive I was. There was only 1 person who was classified under the race of "lain-lain" (the others) and that was me. I used to get annoyed when people asked me what I was, and most often tempted to reply with "That's none of your business!" It was because, I really didn't know how to explain what, who or why I was what I was.

I never thought of how special my heritage was. I just thought we were oddballs. The marriage between the two most complex heritage in the region, had us celebrate both Christmas and Chinese New Year (CNY). However, our celebration of the festivities were none like others which I knew of. The food we put on the table during these festivities, seemed far from the normal average chinese family or Christmas celebrating families.

While steamboats were a common tradition during CNY, my family always had Rendang Ayam Nyonya, Kiam Chye Ark ( mustard leaves soup), Jiu Hu Char ( turnips and squid), Acar Awak ( vegetable acar ), Lum mee ( hokkien fried wet noodles), Chap Chye (mixed vege and mushrooms with soybean paste), Itim Tim (Braised Duck with Spices) and Bakwan Kepiting Soup (Crab, Fish and Pork meatball soup) on the table.

And while my friends' parents were going around scouting the biggest and juiciest turkeys in town for Christmas and busy making casseroles; Deviled Curry, Acar Awak, Pot Roast Spiced Chicken, Vindaloo Chicken, Eurasian jumbo curry puffs, and Nasi Lemak with the many kinds of sambals were a must on the table.

I never really invited friends to my house for the festivities, as I was always concerned over how odd they would find my family. My idea of the authentic festivity food that should be on the table, was influenced by what I watched on TV and least did i know that I had a special heritage going on.

I've stayed away from home for more than 8 years now, and I can't help but crave for the things that my mom used to put on the table. Recently, i found myself amongst the few of my generation who are scrambling to grab whatever thats left of the traditions our ancestors have left for us. It is sad that take outs and western food has infiltrated our market more than our traditional food. For instance, it is way easier for me to find a good plate of German pork knuckles, burger, steak or a hearty authentic serving of Italian food, than to find a single Nyonya restaurant who cooks real authentic food which brings back childhood memories.

3 comments:

Nirak said...

No wonder suddenly the macaroons fever again...thinking about food food food..posting about it even..

Stephanie Arasu said...

8 years is a long time! I don't know how you manage. I miss my parents every single moment of every single day. Oh, and the doggies too. It's never too late (or embarrassing) to go home girl... home is where the heart is (and clearly where good food is!)

;)

Charlo Fay said...

Nirak: What to do, living on canned tunas and take aways for years makes you crave for what you had during your childhood. Oddly, macaroons were one of them!

Steph: I do go home.. I just don't go home enough, can't find the time to go home because of work, even on weekends.I miss my doggies too, everytime i leave back to kl, they sit in a corner and sulk without sending me off with waggy tails. Sigh.. :(