CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From the Same Mother

Whenever I hear my friends exchange stories about siblings, it really makes me wonder, how it would be like if I had one.

I grew up talking to my tiny green soldier men. Filling the water up in my mom's semi automatic washing machine so that my "soft-toyed-buddies" come take a dip in it when it's a hot day outside. I offered my share of toys as peace offerings whenever my friends who came over to play were mad and wanted to go home. Every time a cousin/friend/neighbour went home after a play date, I would snuggle up and cry.

People say that the only child has it all. Undivided attention, love, toys, no one to fight with. But it also came with  no one to push the blame on when I screwed up, a companionless childhood, and alot of imaginary friends made out of cotton stuffings can buttoned eyes. I always wondered how it would be like to have a sibling. Older, younger, male or female, i wasn't picky. I just wanted to have a friend to grow up with.

I guess growing up as the only child made me weird in ways. I am by all means, horrible at mending broken relationships/friendships. I can't sleep through the night knowing someone somewhere is mad or dissatisfied with me. I find it hard to give up things or opinions that are rightfully mine. I do not handle conflict well, I suck at keeping in touch, and i find it weird that people forgive their siblings for the darnest things that I would probably keep a grudge for for eternity.

I'm learning, and though it might take me a longer journey than many others to learn how to give and take, I'm getting there.

0 comments: