CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"10 Things I Hate about You"

I was watching Desperate Housewives (DH) last night, while nursing my loss of all forms of motivation since the World Cup has ended. Truly, this is like going through withdrawal symptoms of a beautiful love affair with 22 different men every night.

Something from Desperate Housewives struck me. It was an episode where Gabby returned to NY to look for her niece which she had introduced to work at her previous modelling agency. In case you didn't know or are not part of the DH cult, Gabby was a ex-successful-runway model. To her surprise, she bumped into a couple of models whom she worked with during her heydays, only to receive worse than hostile treatment. See, Gabby wasn't a nobody in her heydays, in fact she was a big time model who used to cause other models to be green with envy. But that was not just it, she was brazen, snobbish, spoilt and well, a bitch..

I suddenly thought of all the people that I knew in a passing-by in College, and how if i met them today, they would snub me or rather acknowledge my nonexistence. When I was in college, I always had my clique. We would go for lunch together, hang out together, cause a ruckus together, and laughed at ill fashion sense passer byers together. The clique was impenetrable, simply because of, lame popularity concerns. If you were new and we thought you had potential, we would try to recruit you.

I wouldn't say I was a snob, but neither was I super friendly either. I was the kind who would be nice and pleasant to you if you sat next to me in class, but after lecture hours, i moved back into my clique and would most likely not invite you for lunch even if you were sitting on the stairs alone eating out of a tupperware. Yes, I was a prat, but I was also 19, so give me some credit for being the dumb blonde wannabe.

The past few years, I bumped into a few ex college mates here and there. While their response to my "hellos" were less than lukewarm, I could sense the quizzical look on their faces which read, "Why start now?"  I remember meeting this girl that used to sit next to me in my Cognitive Psychology class. She was really nice, always flustered but also a victim of common sick jokes of other cool kids at college for how rotund she looked. While I did not evolve into her bestie, I was always nice to her. But when I met her last year, I pat she shoulder to say hi and all I got was "oh, hi" and she walked away. Snubbed me through and through. Ouch!

Maybe it was my fault, for not being more sensitive or what-not. Or not standing up for them when they were being teased. But in my defense, I was never part of the "teasing squad". But sometimes looking and laughing along, makes you the devil's advocate as well.

I'm sure if I met any one of those girls from college now, and gave them a paper to justify the 10 things they hated about me, they would surely ask, "10 only?"

Sigh..

0 comments: