CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dear Girls in Your 20's....


This post was inspired by Cougar Town..

Dear girl in your early 20's,

You know those fabulous sitcoms you sit back and enjoy every week. Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, and now Cougar Town? Well, if you notice, they all have something in common. Younger women triumph over older women at any given situation of time. Younger women showing off their perky bodies and using them as weapons, and older women battling the 3 W's ; weight, wrinkles and whores.

Sure you laugh and look forward to these awesome series every weekend. Some of us even download it so that we can have a marathon session on cold rainy weekends over hot chicken soup. While it seems so cleverly written, it is really a depiction of what is to come, inevitable, for every women.

While some of you may have the urge to close this page, or call me a cynical bitch, none of which is more important to acknowledging the fact that we all grow to look older and have someone younger replace us one day in one way or another. What I am trying to tell you may seem brutal, but I assure you completely truthful.

Here it goes,

When you are in your early 20's, some people call it the prime of a woman's life. The early 20's are nice, you get suitors, people buy you flowers, you somehow look slimmer and toned without having to do much, and anything you wear, can be pulled off as a fashion statement. When I was in my early 20's which was merely a few years ago, I never worried about cellulite, I never worried about crow's feet underneath my eyes, callouses from my killer heels. I never thought my body would morph into something I hardly recognize. I didn't have to do much to maintain my curves and toned back. A few laps in the pool once a week did the trick. Then someone told me when I was 24, enjoy it while you can. To be honest, I was probably as offended as you are right now. I was thinking, just because someone happens to be slightly overweight, surely it is quite plain rude to wish for someone else to be just like her in eventual time. So I took it lightly and enjoyed my youth. I took my little "ra-ra" skirts and my tummy baring tops lightly. I didn't see them as my heydays, I was living in a dream that this would go on forever.

SO ... 25 came and went, and I thought not too bad, it didn't happen to me. And then I hit 26, and so did all my other friends. Soon, we were talking about cellulite and anti aging creams. My skin's elasticity was going down south, truth being told, everything was. Even my thinnest friends were complaining over saggy arms that just would not firm up, love handles that appeared out of no where, and that tiny kangaroo pouch that hung slightly over our va-jay-jays. It was horrible. I didn't want to take pictures, because somewhere, there'll always be a flab that wasn't there, no matter if I was 46 kgs or 52 kgs. Muscle degeneration they say..

For friends of mine who were not attached, they realised how much harder it was looking to their Mr Right. All these years of playing the field and picking and choosing, suddenly, it wasn't anymore about picking the wrong guy, it was as if they had no options! Where did all the men go to? They were either married, or finally came out of the closet, or mostly after younger girls. The only men who hit on them, were either divorced, old, or... OLD... For friends of mine who were taken and stuck in a dead-end relationship, they go on with it because they are afraid of never having a chance at love again. Which could possibly ( but not entirely true) happen. Since men in their late twenties prefer "twinkies" in their arms.

In your late twenties, you do not dress to impress. You dress to look presentable. You tuck in and go for special cut jeans and pants, invest in better support bras and underwears to make sure you don't look to far behind what you looked like just a few years ago. You start worrying that people will see your flaws. You worry that you are dressing too much like a tart for your age. They say teenagehood is a hard time. Well news flash! late twenties, ain't peachy either.

My point is, it is easier to accept something when you expect it. So although it may come across as depressing for you to know that your heydays are going to end soon and you have to put on a tougher fight to defend them, you'll be better off when you are prepared.

So girl in your early 20's, enjoy your youth, expect the changes and start thinking of how to embrace them as depressing as they might sound. You will always be replaceable by something newer and shinier even though you are the new and shiny item now. So start exploring areas of yourself where you won't age and focus on making it better..

Yours truly,

The almost 30 years old woman

2 comments:

Nirak said...

Geez I guess I fall in the same category as you huh.Women nearing 30s.

And yes I still remember those short skirts and those "I can stuff my face when ever and with what ever I want" glory days. Far gone now..Never has it ever crossed my mind, and I'm talking about just under two years ago that I have to ever ever worry about my weight and how my legs and knees and hips will look like (for someone well known as papan). I eat with all my might and I overload with gluttony on chocolate just because I CAN.

I've never had to worry about eating after 10pm, not having rice twice a day yata yata..SOO yea girls enjoy while you CAN.

Charlo Fay said...

Tell me about it. It's just sad that it's inevitable and no one ever warned me about it. I thought childbirth would offset it, not being a specific age!!

Well, we have our personality to make up for it.. Hahah.. Assuming I'm not fanning my own backside!