CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lost in Translation


When u wake up one day from life, be it at any point of your life, with a realization that life can never be the same again, it could be an epiphany, or a prick of conscience, or even a point to which you realize life cannot go on the way it did yesterday and the yesterdays before.

That kind of realization, gives you a surge of adrenaline, a whole new perspective in life, and the emotions and enthusiasm which you cannot suppress even if you wanted to. It is almost as if your whole life had been a lie, and confessions must be made. That, is the birth of inventions, progressions, causes and revolutions..

Many Non-Profit-Organizations or Non-Government-Organizations start off in this manner, where that ONE person decided that there is a need to address a need that has not been addressed. The cause is pure, the intentions are humble, and the fight is for the prevalence of justice.

Throughout my fight for a cause, which has been the scratch of the surface compared to many many MANY others, I’ve learnt that an organization is like a government, where they exist to address injustice on behalf of a group of people. Like majority of the governments in the world, they started out being the voice of the people, and slowly but surely along the way, lose their way towards the reason they started out in the first place. From a humble representative, they learn that with support, comes authority, and with authority, comes power, and with power, comes tyranny. So what happens to the cause? Lost somewhere in translation. They remember the people who supported them at the beginning, remember the people who brought them into the scene at the first place, but somehow, just.. somehow along the way, forget what the people really want or need, because they have learnt to value the people’s opinions lesser with time, and value their own instead. They say, Thank God “I” am here to help you, and not, thank God I am here because of “you”.  NPOs or NGOs, they lose their way, just like any hungry money grubbing business tycoon. Narcissism takes over, and soon, it’s about “ me me me” What “I” want, what “I” think is right and what “I” decide… Justice ends up..Compromised.

My father used to tell me that the word “I” is the most rude word one can use. It reflects self-gratification and selfishness. Self praise is no praise. And I think that’s the biggest wisdom ever reflected in his attempt to mold and chisel my character. Even Jesus was humble enough to say that he is not alone in making miracles. Many times in the bible, it was mentioned that Jesus never separated himself from God the father, and the Holy Spirit. Same way, a government is made out of a collection of people, and so is an organization.  Therefore, the word “I” should be refrained from being used, because really, it is not ONE person who has made it possible, it was everyone who worked their asses off, and not that ONE person.

Today, I prayed an earnest prayer. I prayed for the first time that God would make sure that I would not stray from my cause, from my purpose, from my dedication. I prayed that I would not end up being consumed by power, that if I ever obtained authority and power, I would use it with prudence, and for the cause I am here for in the first place. And I prayed that I will not use the word “I” too often especially for self glorification. I prayed most of all that I will never consider my profession noble, but as an obligation that every human being should fulfill. 

0 comments: