CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Its a Blessing..

The biggest and most exciting part about Chinese New Year is the reunion dinner, on the eve of Chinese New Year itself. Families pour in from all over the place to come together and have an extravagant dinner, where thereafter, bellies need to be literally tucked into their pants. Mothers pour their love into their cooking, and it's a day to laze around after a big meal and just catch up on old times and enjoy each another's company to it's fullest. It is after all, once a year.

For those of us who have enjoyed reunion dinners without fail every year, we sometimes forget how special it is. The opportunity to be with our loved ones and cherish every moment we spend together. As i sit here after my reunion dinner for a coffee to wash down my super sized meal which would have normally made up the portions of three meals in a regular average day, i can't help but feel lucky that i have this opportunity to be here, with my parents, at this age and time.

My reunion dinner was a small one this year. In the years before, we always had extended family joining us as one big event. But this year, it was just mom dad and good old me. I couldn't help feeling sad as well. My aunt who is wheelchair bound was supposed to join us for reunion dinner. However, as expected, her daughter switched off her handphone and we never got news of them despite waiting for 2 hours for their arrival. My aunt used to make the most sumptuous meatball soup, and the best steamed herbed drunken chicken. Since my uncle's passing, she became wheelchair bound due to a stroke, and has been dependent on her daughter ever since. Reunion dinners were always special, where she would start cooking days in advance. And all we wanted to do this year, was to have her with us, at the house which was once hers, and relive her happy days. Sadly, we were stood up.

Across where i am sitting now, is a family who is having their dinner at a Kopitiam. I wondered, why aren't they at home, enjoying this joyous occasion with their loved ones.

I have never considered reunion dinners to be special. It was always a common thing for me. Right now, i couldn't thank God more for the blessings which he has bestowed me..Without me even realising it.. :)

1 comments:

Professional2youraid said...

yeah how i wish i cud be there with hayden :)