CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Shout Out!!




Congratulations Kathy!!!!!!!!!

My housemate recently's been working her arse off putting together a proposal to pitch her own project from Malaysian AIDS Council. I don't really know the details, but it's 90% confirmed that she will have her own AIDS Awareness Program for Malaysian Youth funded and sponsored and she'll be the youngest project manager I've known of in NGO Program leading history! And not to mention earning big bucks!

It's pleasantly odd how she'll be working with my cousin Tim who's working for Pink Triangle ( an NGO for AIDS Prevention and Awareness for the Homosexual community) while I'll be liaising with her cousin Cynthia who'll be working for Public Media ( publishing house but NGO status) who does all Tenaganita's (the NGO I'm working for which works for migrant and refugee rights) flyers and awareness raising materials. Small small world.

Recently my cousin who's on study leave but still bonded to WWF Malaysia ( yes yes, another NGO) made a comment. She said that we'd be one poor but happy family! Well to think of it, it's kind of true.

Don't get me wrong. i'm far from being modest... I LOVE money... Money makes my world go round. But since i chose what people would call a "noble" profession, i have resigned my fate to choosing other things to make my world go round besides money. Oh Heck it, i can earn lots of money someday, when i rise to the top of an international NGO or when i get to become a project manager. But while I'm here, I'm enjoying every moment of the blood,sweat, and tears i sacrifice to learn how to manage a humanitarian project from scratch.

It's not easy. You see people dying everyday in professions like ours. You see children starving and people homeless. And thanks to funding organisations that exist and fund our projects, i can do a job i love. :) The same way how being a doctor or a teacher is not for everyone, being a humanitarian worker/program officer takes the same expertise, dedication and passion too. Cheers to low paying fulfilling jobs!!!!!

2 comments:

Uncle Shawn said...

wat do u do for a living charlene?

Charlo Fay said...

I am a humanitarian worker. I work for a program funded by ICMC called Combating Gender Based Violence Against Burmese Refugees.