CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Monday, March 10, 2008

"Body Shapers Sanctuaries"

A few months ago, after losing close to 8 kgs after joining my first job in the fashion line, i had an obsession. No no... not to lose more weight, but to tone up all the flabby skin my fats have left behind. I confess, that i'm hysterically paranoid about gaining weight. The people who know me well would know that I never cease to ask them if i look fatter or thinner every time i see them. (my house-mate nodding her head vigorously in approval) :P

My boyfriend has resorted to just agreeing to what ever i say because to think of it, i never really asked, my questions went more like "I look fatter now don't i?" or " My face so round ordi isn;t it?" So i exasperated everyone around me.... (giggle giggle)... And especially my best friend who's all the way in KK, cz even though i see her once a year, i still shamelessly try to ooze some compliments from her on whether i looked better a year ago or now.(MY idea of looking good of course i losing more weight. See, this obsession came about as i lived a childhood and teenagehood of being an overweight girl. Boys weren't interested in me and truth being told, even if they fell for my personality, they were more worried about their friends teasing them having a fat girlfriend. This post was inspired by an article Daphne Iking wrote on her blog, on her experience to bad customer service in a spa for prenatal massage. See, we are not a bunch of anal people, We just expect getting a little courtesy when we're paying for a service. We especially expect to not have people trample over our pride for the sake of selling us "packages".


Well, back to the sub-topic, i stood in horror as my weight plunged day after day due to stress, irregular eating habits, and the lack of sleep. I realised that Fats weren't my worst enemy, stretch marks were! It just never goes away. So being a religious reader of fashion magazines, i decided to go to a slimming center to tone up. Since i hardly had the time to visit "Lala Land", i obviously didn't have the luxury to exercise. Mind you, i love exercising.."Oh how enticing the treadmill seems to me" :P


A particular slimming center promised that in addition to burning the deep down stubborn fats ( cellulite) , it also increases skin rejuvenation, hence no stretch marks and a firmer and toner body. I wasn't even pregnant to begin with so i wasn't going to settle with having stretch marks at 24! My housemate always commented that i am a perfect citizen in the world of advertising. Hehehe.. I am naive enough to believe everything an advertisement claims! Because who doesn't like to live with bright brimming overspilling hope! Being a Realist isn't healthy all the darn time! To cut the story short, i went to the "slimming center", a reputable one in fact and seeked an audience with my Beauty Guru. The moment i stepped in the consultation room, i knew there was no escape. "NO" is hardly in my vocabulary. yeah... that's my weakness... My beauty Guru immediately told me where my problem areas were and how ugly they looked. I was shocked! Are they actually allowed to tell a customer they look ugly? My concern was toning up i eventually fell into a black hole of believing if i did not do something about the remaining fats i had, i WILL look UGLIER than i "am" eventually. As i sat there, crestfallen and a thousand thoughts zapping through my mind, i signed a contract of 10 treatments for a hefty sum of money absentmindedly. I went into the treatment room. and my beauty consultants got down t0 business in breaking down my stubborn fats ( clearly hardly existant). The process was painful! They used some device that uses infra red heat waves to exterminate my cellulite! They said it will be painless but boy oh boy.... i felt as though they were using some kind of blunt parang and trying to stab it into me. And as the process went on, two personnels that was "exterminating" my fats for me kept shaking their heads and clicking their tongues. WTF.. surely it wasn't as bad as they wanted me to believe it was.

I did not get good service. People in Malaysia should learn that since we're a multi-racial society, perhaps we're multilingual too?? Being half chinese, Mandarin and hokkien is my second language. I could hear the beauty gurus openly discussing my session from outside the session room. (Spa was supposed to be included in the treatment so i was expecting some peace and quiet but alas, i got none). They were strategizing on what to say next to get me to sign for an additional 10 treatments on top of the 10 i've already paid for. I was furious and the entire time i was jz reverberating myself for being such a naive idiot. In addition, they also short changed me for my treatment. The consultant told another consultant that was performing the treatment on me to only use the slimming equiptment on my thighs and not my hips as i have requested so that i'l come back for more sessions. At the end of my session, they tried to get me to sign up for the 10 sessions they were strategizing about. Well, i already made a fool of myself and i wasn't really to be a bigger fool. So i refused. The beauty Guru pulled a dramatic stunt by taking my hands into hers and telling me if i didn't go all the way, my cellulite problem would end up grave... That was clearly enough. I spoke in the most eloquent mandarin and expressed how i didn't F***king have any cellulite. I came for toning up and reducing my stretch marks and i wasn't about to pay for the rest of my treatments since they couldn't even maintain some level of decency to keep their voice down and bitch about other ways to cheat me. The experience wasn't good, they were rude and obnoxious and i wanted to pay only for that one session and refund the rest of my money for the 10 sessions i paid for an hour ago. In an instant sweet fairy godmother who promised me the world to make me feel beautiful again became the evil witch. She persisted that there was no refund and i'd just have to do with that. I left in a huff, angry, violated of my customers rights, and deranged. the next two weeks, my entire legs were covered with bruises and skirts just wasn't an option.

I never went back there for the other 9 treatments i paid for. And i never forgot that experience. It is okay to try sell a product/service to someone but to make someone feel like they've fallen short of themselves in the process of selling them that service/product, should NOT be tolerated. I have extremely low tolerance for rude salespeople, before this encounter and perhaps even more after this encounter.

0 comments: