CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Go Watch Talentime!!!!!!!


Yasmin Ahmad has done it again! Spectacular, amazing, heart wrenching, and a movie which has kept my thoughts haunted since last night till this very moment.


Yesterday, i dragged Bernard out for a movie which i knew he was reluctant to go to. For starters, Malaysian produced movies generally suck! They are weepy, redundant, same old story line, or as some has recently ventured, a total failure copy cat of Hollywood movies which makes me sick to my stomach by just watching the trailer itself.

Don't get me wrong. I do not just enjoy ANY Hollywood movies. In face, i love Warner Independent films and low budget movies with big impacts on issues that people are too shyed away from.

So, at the cinema, Bernard gives one last plunge to try and convince me to watch something else. I refused to budge, even tho i knew the last movie of my choice was an utter and total disaster which we walked out halfway off, after dozing of in the first half an hour itself. I stood in the ticket line, excited like a child waiting in turn for free cotton candy. I was peering up at the screens and thanking God for "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which came out on the same day as well as all the other shallow people standing in line muttering complains on how fast the "no-brainer" movie was selling out. I was happy. The status of the tickets on sale was still green. I giggled to myself, and i knew it was going to be good. I just knew it. 

In the cinema, i was shocked by how little support Malaysians gave Yasmin Ahmad. Yasmin Ahmad is like the Steven Spielberg of Malaysia and yet, a handful of people graced the third day the movie was launched. Sigh.. Bernard felt restless over the Malaysian ads being played before the movie started. If i didn't insist, he wouldn't be there, tho reluctantly. But i needed him to understand why i loved her films so much, and although i knew her movie would be slow, i knew he would love it..

I don't think i've sobbed this way before in any other movie. I have only cried in 5 movies to date. FIVE!!! First was Stepmom. Second was I am Sam, Third was Sepet, Fourth was Marley and Me ( i just cant stand seeing dogs die and not that the movie was great ), and Fifth was Talentime. From the beginning to the end, it was the ultimate film Yasmin Ahmad had ever produced and directed. 

For two and half hours, i was glued to the screen. Bernard and me didn't talk. We laughed, we teared, "I" sobbed, he smiled, We felt every emotion in the movie. It was simple, honest, bare and naked as the truth that surrounded us. The cast truly embraced the roles. The price of living the "muhibbah" dream was pricier to some more than the others.

If you have the time, if you are in Malaysia. If you are not a katak bawah tempurung, get out of the house and head to the nearest cinema. Take a plunge in "Talentime" and you will NOT regret it. DO it before it's too late, once you miss it, you will regret it. :)


0 comments: