CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Something Finally to be proud of..

I felt disappointed today. Because to all my fellow Peninsular Malaysians, today is just another holiday courtesy of the need to draw in more votes for a certain party.

I am not a patriotic person simply because I don't find the need to be patriotic for the sake of being patriotic. I hate blind patriotism. It's the easiest way for a nation to meet its doom. But today is different, for once I actually feel an ounce of pride swelling from my tiny chest, and a bigger disappointment oozing out of me..

See, today is Malaysia's real Birthday. The real day which hold the significance of history being made. The real day all three individual governance came together and said, let's be one. Yes we have celebrated Merdeka for 53 years, but that was the day the national parade was held, and the legendary Tunku Abdul Rahman stood in a field of peninsular supporters bellowing Merdeka to a newly formed nation. That is not historical, I'm sorry to say that.

It is kind of sad that Peninsular Malaysians are welcoming today as another added holiday in our yearly calendar. This day holds no significance for them. It's sad because this is the day, we acknowledged what we have casually bypassed for 53 years.

So to my fellow Peninsular Malaysians, celebrate today, in spite of the reason this day was decided to be commemorated for voting reasons. But embrace today as the day we stood as one nation, the day where our forefathers decided to let their personal interests slide aside and put Unity as the top of the agenda to start their lives anew.

Today is historical, because without today, 53 years back, we would be a squatter country still, without reaping the benefits of natural resources which our fellow Malaysians across the South China Sea has so graciously allowed us to use for the benefit of our economy. Without today, we will be hardly even, a progressive country!

Happy Malaysia Day everybody!

0 comments: