CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Merdeka is_______ to me. What about you?

I wrote this article at the stroke of midnight on the 31st August 2008 and only had the chance to publish it on my blog now... Please do excuse the tenses =)


As I turned off the tv to get ready to go to bed, I heard sounds of fireworks outside my balcony. Peering out, I see a display of not so elaborated fireworks being played across the sky. “12am” I muttered to myself as I peered at my clock. After 3 minutes, the fireworks cease. “cheapskates” I thought to myself. I sat out at the balcony for a few more minutes watching my own swirly patterns of smoke being exhaled amidst the hazy sky. While I do still catch a few more fireworks display here and there, I also notice for the first time what the view from my balcony looks like.

I never realized that Genting Highlands was visible from my very own balcony. The shimmery lights guiding the curvy roads were clearly seen and I could see more sparks from afar. “So, there’s fireworks being displayed at Gentings too?”

Besides the fireworks, I could see many flats that were built not too long ago in barren lands that were left for decades, untouched. Cranes stood everywhere marking the developments that were taking place. “development huh?” The lights on top of the cranes were still blinking and some were even moving. Looks like Merdeka holidays are only for those who have jobs that allow some of us to sit back and scrutinize these details like myself. How unfair, I thought. I’m sure it’s only because those working overtime at the construction sites and are denied the nation’s holiday are not Malaysians. “how lucky we are to be Malaysians,” I thought with a cynical laugh.

That’s about it. The modest midnight celebration to welcome the 51st year of independence.

As a child, Merdeka was always an exciting time for me. Well, for starters. Holiday and no school! Secondly, I would wake up extra early to watch the merdeka processions aired Live on tv. I always thought how lucky it must be to be KL folks to be there to live the moment. While a child like me who was brought up in Jb had no opportunity of being one of the thousands walking in the Merdeka Parade waving their flags, all I could do was watch tv and wish someday I could witness the merdeka parade live, at the Dataran Merdeka.

As a college student. Merdeka was also exciting to me. It was another excuse to have a party and be merry. It was another excuse to go clubbing and drink till we’re drunk. But I lost the enthusiasm of attending a parade as I was educated well enough that travelling during the 31st of August was the biggest act of stupidity of voluntarily being stuck in a monstrous traffic jam.

As a working adult now, I work 5 minutes away from Dataran Merdeka. Almost everyday I pass by the historical site, but somehow, the political turmoil and the nature of my job has robbed my patriotism, so alas, it means nothing to me. I began to resent national events, i.e; merdeka celebrations or Anwar’s court appearances, as it only spelt more hassle to get to work in time and stand still traffic jams!

This year is probably the most silent national day Malaysia has ever seen. I’ve seen 3 cars with flags drapped over their bonnet. THREE! In the capital city. The rakyat’s silent protest towards the recent ongoings in the political arena? Most likely. Or is it that Malaysians are finally getting a little smarter to not have blind patriotism, but patriotism for a reason?

Whatever it is, Everyone is protesting in silence for their own reasons. And this is the first time such a quiet National Day has been witnessed in a democratic country.

What will the 31st of August 2008 be like? Just another holiday…

If 13th May was a black dot in our history, maybe the 31st of August 2008 should be one too…..

0 comments: