CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The 'i' generation

My early memories consisted of books. From ladybirds, sesame street encyclopedias and 'peter and jane' books, i graduated to enid blytons and sweet valley highs. I read alot. Most of my books were donated so i never had the luxury to pick and choose my book titles. But i always made do with whatever i had. I learnt that there is no such thing as a lousy book. Every book had an edge, a story to tell, and subliminal messages that you could interpret. Books led me into a world of fantasy n realms of imagination. If there was one thing my parents taught me about, is to love, respect and treasure those neverending words. As i grew older, bookstores were my solace. No matter how i felt for the day or week, bookstores never failed me because there was always a unread tale which was there to take me away to another world. As i walked through the mall and watched the younger generation with cell phones, psps' and ipads in their hands, precariously pressing the buttons and swiping the screens so vigorously as if their life depended on the scores of the games they were engrossed in, i wondered if i will emerge victorious against the battle of books vs technology. How would i inculcate the love for books in my kids in the future? It seems like a losing battle. Alphabets on pages vs cute, realistic graphics. The fight is going to be tough.

1 comments:

Craig Bruce said...

What will we do when sites like Amazon kill all the bookstores?