CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Friday, March 12, 2010

The Ugly Truth

If there is one thing i hate more than take the daily train ride to hell every morning, it is walking in shoes that bite, burn, blister, lacerate, squeeze and make you feel like taking them off and stabbing a knife into it repetitively. I figured what makes the whole experience worse than it already is, is the fuming anger of ever picking the pair of the shelves and the guilt of paying what you had for something you would never want to wear again. More than often, as i stand in the monorail, or rather, fight my way through the crowded train to obtain some sort of balance, i can't help but admire the next set of pedicured and fish eaten feet standing next to mine on what that could only look like metallic stilts. On the other hand, my farmers toes in rubber slippers somehow just seems uglier, but more at ease!

Ages ago, i wouldn't be caught dead in public, wearing flip flops which are brightly colored. These days, it's all that i wear. My friends and family have tried to repeatedly throw insults, my shoe's way, up to the extent of telling me that my shoes me make look "pariah" and "selekeh". Strangers have pointed out point blank that I've got alot of nerve wearing something which is's downright ugly and last week, my doctor asked me, "Which sane adult would wear a pair of those!" After all said and done, i have yet to part with the greatest thing ever invented, and it's been 3 years since my first pair!

It is not that i don't like to own pairs shinny sleek pumps, or ballerina mary janes look prim and pretty. It's not that i don't wish that i have a rack and racks of Christian Louboutin's shoes or a fleet of Jimmy Choos. But i have learnt that fashion that is painful, is not everlasting fashion at all. It's fashion that people will craze over and then wham! It disappears just as fast as it had appeared. Real cult fashion is wearable, practical, one of a kind and always sought after. It doesn't have to come with a novelty look so peculiar you swear the designer was on acid while he came up with the idea. It doesn't have to have a four figure price tag on it because frankly, most designer shoes and Sungei Wang's ah lian shops collections, are not very far apart.


The crocs cult is taking over the working crowd. More and more people that i meet in the train these days are just like me, imprisoned in "uptight" office wear but wearing a sense of freedom, color and magic on their feet. We carry our "uptight" shoes in our handbags, or leave them under out office desk, just so we don't technically break our "uptight" office dresscode rules. I swear there's a familiarity between Crocs owners. There are times where we would exchange smiles after peering at each another's feet.

So despite what everyone around me says, and the tinge of uncomfortable stare that i get down at my feet, AND my mismatched colors of my outfit that looks as if a blind sunday school teacher had personally picked out my shoes, i think i like my Crocs very much and am absolutely fine with its green and pink watermelon colors. At least i don't have to save up for knee cap replacement in due time or buy burnion plasters and corn removing liquids on a regular basis. And at least, there's lesser one thing to worry about on a daily basis. Dread can be emotionally tiring.

So thank you Crocs!!!! You have been my saving grace and I hope you be as trippy, psychedelic, peculiar and colorful as you have always been!!!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

hahha.... i love the crocs too.
I wear the maryjane crocs to work with my stuffy attire !!

Cheers - Michelle Chow