CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Who's Been Eating Off My Plate!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Jack of all Trades, Master of None..

The thing about having an education in psychology is, more often, you turn out to be a jack of all trades. I blame it on the limited course period which pushes you to study more subjects, but lesser in depth. However, studying psychology has its perks. You can pretty much work anywhere and build your career in many sectors which you've never dreamed of.

A good friend of mine and i were having a chat yesterday about our life's woes. Sometimes, i wonder if we even listen to what each another has to say, since we have a habit of talking simultaneously about our individual issues and picking up where we left off on random topics without addressing the ones we were talking about earlier on. Bur i swear we get each another! We can talk about life, relationships, work, personal issues in a 15 minutes conversation without any fullstops.

This is an example of our conversations.

KArin: Babe... i'm so messed up lah

Me: Why lah.. yeah tell me bout it, work's been a bore.

Karin: You know this guy, i dunno what he's doing to me.. Tell me bout it! No don't
tell me bout it, i don't even want to get there about work. OMG!! Did i tell
you this girl that we hated is in this awesome company.. That whiny one??

Me : Really??? No way.. Lucky B****!! Anyways.. i really don't know why i'm here..
I'm worth more than this. It's like i can't get out of the black hole.

Karin: Yeah lah tell me about it babe.. I've been in such a dilemma too. U know, he
hasn't called and how am i supposed to call first now. I don't know what he's
doing to me. Mummy also been giving me stress and do u know Charles is having
another baby?

Me: *Gasp* Another one? yeah lah men, luckily bernard's there for me. What do you
think, should i do what i am passionate about instead of wasting my life away?
OMG, i forgot to send my laundry to the drycleaners!

Karin: Well, my boss's partner thinks i'm a slutty assistant. OMG.. I don't know how
long i can take this. So babe, u know i was thinking i need a holiday

Me: Yeah, holiday sounds good. But money's an issue no? Well, you know!! No one
goes home on time in my company. I feel like a slacker for going home on time

Karin: So babe, about this guy.. I think i know what i'm going to do... (bla bla bla
)


Get my point? How our conversation can get so incoherent?
We eventually agreed on one thing though. We blame it on the education system. We were taught to be analytical. To explore and dissect issues to get to the root core of it. But what was lacking was formulating the action plan to deal with these issues and sticking with them.

Personally, studying psychology inculcated a mindset that i can do just about anything. It gave me the confidence of being able to reach greater heights, be a better person, and excel in whatever tasks i should come across. But it has built us to be such passionate people that it is almost a downfall in the making.

Because the truth is, in life, the REAL life, everything is realistic. KPIs matter. Numbers matter. End results matter. The bigger picture is foregone for the here and now moment. But what happens to people like us? People who dream big and simply find it impossible to conform to the regular 9-5 job which offers little satisfaction and personal growth? In the real world, stepping over others to get to the top is a formula of success. What about weird queer people like us who want to do something we are passionate about, but out of the norm?

In the real world, unless you are the devil's advocate, there is little opportunity to be relevant. Unless you are a master of your trade, who gives a dingo about your endless potential of being great?

I choose to be queer nonetheless. After all, i am unique and special and i choose to believe that the world may just about need more people like myself and Karin and Kathy, to make sure that balance of "weird versus ordinary" is sustained....

0 comments: